Myths of Mold by Ralph Vock of PuroClean

February 2011 Newsletter printable pdf

No property is ever safe from mold, and unfortunately the average property owner has limited knowledge on treatment methods when the fungus is discovered. While it’s true that a mold appearance must be addressed immediately, there are many myths regarding mold treatment. Owners who are misinformed about treatments for mold sometimes cause further damage trying to remediate the mold without professional help. It’s important to call a professional when mold is spotted or if there is a musty smell. When attempting to take proactive steps, it’s imperative to be aware of the following myths:

  • It is a common belief that bleach will fix a mold problem, and while it will kill living mold if applied properly, it does not prevent immediate re-appearance.
  • There is no all-inclusive product for sudden mold removal.
  • Use of Ozone will not destroy mold and can be potentially harmful to all life in the property — including humans.
  • Mold can’t be controlled with high heat drying, and the heat can cause secondary damage, such as overdrying wood furniture, melting plastics and killing indoor plants.
  • Mold resistant drywall is available, but mold resistant does NOT mean mold proof.
  • Mold resistant products are not the answer to keeping property mold free. They can play an important part, but careful design, construction and maintenance are key to keeping property dry, and ultimately preventing mold.

According to the Center for Disease Control, exposure to the allergens produced by mold can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Those with serious allergies to molds may have more severe reactions. It is important to call mold removal professionals at the first sign of mold or musty smells.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.